It is a very simple task to prepare Ackee and Salt fish. You will need the following ingredients:
- 3 cups boiled ackee
- 1/2 cup salted fish (cod fish)
- 1 tablespoon chopped escellion
- 1 tablespoon chopped onion
- 1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
- 1/4 tablespoon chopped hot pepper
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 tablespoon diced tomato
- 1 tablespoon chopped sweet pepper
- 3 to 4 tablespoons cooking oil
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
Boil the salt fish to remove excess salt. Remove the bones and cut fish into small pieces and place into sauce pan. Dice the herbs, tomato and sweet pepper and put these with the fish in the sauce pan.
Add cooking oil and allow ingredients to simmer over low flame for two minutes. This will enable the flavours to be diffused into the oil.
Sprinkle black pepper over the Ackee and Salt fish and genltly stir it in. Add more black pepper according to your taste.
When finished, serve and enjoy.
This is my dinner today … Ackee & Salt fish, with boiled coco, bananas and plantain. Served with cabbage and okra and sliced tomatoes.