Many surveys have shown interesting results on how men and women can add years to their lives. The summary below of 12 ways to add years to your life (in alphabetical order) shows that we should:
- Avoid and control negative emotions such as anger, envy, arrogance, guilt, being revengeful.
- Avoid smoking and being exposed to second-hand smoke.
- Develop good relationships with others.
- Eat healthy by having good fats, lots of fruits, fiber & vegetables; consume less salt and sugar, and drink much water throughout the day.
- Enjoy humour for at least 15 minutes each day.
- Exercise often and lift weights to build muscle to ward off heart disease.
- Get enough sleep each night; also make time for rest and relaxation.
- Get regular check-ups with your doctor and dentist.
- Manage your stress levels.
- Take supplements and multivitamins to prevent DNA damage and to ward off cancer.
- Think positively, avoid worry and make time for prayer.
- Use spices frequently such as nutmeg, curry and cinnamon.
As we age, our bodies may not absorb all the nutrients needed to keep us healthy. Further, the foods we eat today may not give us all the nutrients we need.
Each morning, William takes Vitamin C for his immune system and to ward off colds. He also uses Fish oil for heart health and Calcium-Magnesium-Zinc for bones and cell health. Zinc is specifically important for prostate health.
“During my last checkup, my doctor told me that chronologically I am age 88, but physically I’m age 75.”
“You know that means I’ve added many many years to my life”.