Today was just an ordinary day for me, the only photos I was able to take for today’s blog were those of a grasshopper. Grasshoppers are fascinating insects and here are a few facts I read about them today.
- Grasshoppers have no ears, but they hear through an eardrum (tympanum) which is located on their abdomens.
- Grasshopper do not have lungs, instead they have 10 pairs of spiracles (tiny holes) in their thoraxes and abdomens, through which they breathe.
- Grasshoppers have five eyes – two complex multifaceted eyes on the top of their heads which consists of thousands of small eyes, and three simple eyes which enable them to look sideways, forward and backward.
- Grasshoppers have six legs – four short legs for walking and two hindmost legs used for jumping. They are known to jump a distance of approx. 20 times their own length.
- Grasshoppers are tasty when eaten, and they are a good source of iron and protein. Warning: Persons should be cautious when eating raw grasshoppers as they can contain tapeworms.