I watched yet another interesting message today by pastor Joseph Prince where he discussed righteousness based on the verse – 2 Corinthians 5:21 which states: “God made him (Jesus) who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God.”
Joseph Prince taught that when Jesus became sin for us, it was not because he committed sinful acts; he was given our sins on the cross. Likewise, our righteousness is not based on our right doing; we become righteous through faith in Christ and receive the righteousness which is of God by faith.
– Persons can be righteous and not have the righteousness of God. –
The righteousness of God is not based on right doing such as keeping the law, being obedient, and maintaining moral standards. Doing right is good, but a person is only accepted into God’s kingdom based on the righteousness of Jesus Christ.
All persons are born into this world in a state of sin, but when you are “born again” into God’s family, you are born in righteousness. When we accept Jesus as our Lord and Saviour (i.e. being born again) Jesus becomes our righteousness and we have the righteousness of God in us.
Here are a few verses to consider:
* Behold, I was shapen in iniquity; and in sin did my mother conceive me. (Psalm 51:5)
* The LORD looked down from heaven upon the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, and seek God. They are all gone aside, they are all together become filthy: there is none that doeth good, no, not one. (Psalm 14:3 – 4)
* But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. (Isaiah 64:6)
* If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (1John 1:8 – 9)
* For we ourselves also were sometimes foolish, disobedient, deceived, serving divers lusts and pleasures, living in malice and envy, hateful, and hating one another. But after that the kindness and love of God our Saviour toward man appeared, Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Ghost; Which he shed on us abundantly through Jesus Christ our Saviour; (Titus 3:3 – 6)