In a cooking reality TV-show I watched, I saw one competitor add seasoning to his watermelon to make a special dish; the judges enjoyed it.
Inspired by that show, I decided to look after a watermelon appetizer today. This is how it was prepared:
- First, I chopped some of my favourite seasonings – escellion, sweet pepper, garlic, hot pepper, and onion; to be combined with a couple watermelon slices.
- Cut up the watermelon slices into cubes.
- Over low heat, lightly saute the chopped seasonings into a teaspoon of cooking oil for less than a minute or so, then stir in a teaspoon of water.
- Add the cubed watermelon to the sauteed chopped seasonings.
- Gently combine the watermelon cubes with the sauteed seasonings.
- Add a dash of allspice (pimento) or another of your favourite powdered ingredient, and gently combine with the dish.
- Turn off the stove, then add a dash of salt for taste.
- This watermelon appetizer is simple and tasty; and I find that it really does opens up the appetite. However, when I ate it by itself, the dish was incomplete. It is best served with cooked shrimp or cubes of meat – beef, mutton, or chicken.
Watermelon Appetizer with Barbecued Chicken. Yum!